New & Noteworthy
As we can count down the number of days left in the year on our hands, new restaurants continue to open their doors in NYC. One that caught my eye comes from restaurateur Delores Tronco-DePierro (who has a few James Beard noms for Denver restaurant Work and Class) who is opening The Banty Rooster in the West Village. The American Southwest menu seems homey and comforting.
Aside that, a dish that caught my eye is from the menu 232 Bleecker, the new Dig Food Group backed restaurant being helmed by Chef Suzanne Cupps (previously at Untitled at the Whitney) — an einkorn tagliatelle with crab. I am always curious about recipes using ancient grains and wheat. I will be on the lookout for reviews.
New & Noteworthy (week of Dec 16)
Anton’s Opened mid-November
- Anton’s Is Nick Anderer’s Ode to Old New York
- Former Union Square Hospitality Star Chef Debuts a Throwback European Restaurant
The Banty Rooster (opened mid-December)
- Southwestern Flavors Take Center Stage at Celebrated Restaurateur’s First NYC Spot
- Banty Rooster Opens In W Village With Southwestern Flavors
Café Kitsuné Opened mid-November
- Kitsuné Is Serving Up Parisian Cool at a New West Village Café
- Maison Kitsuné Brings Its Cafe To New York
- Maison Kitsuné brings Parisian luxury and Japanese minimalism to their first NYC café
- Maison Kitsuné’s Masaya Kuroki Pays Close Attention to the Menu “You’ve got to focus.”
Il Fiorista Opened mid-September
- Time Out Review
- Everyone Fantasizes of Opening Their Dream Restaurant. This Couple Actually Did It.
- How to Cook a Meal (Almost) Entirely Out of Flowers
Kochi Opened early-November
- Daily Dish Kochi review: Observations from My First Visit
- Former Neta Chef Opens an Elegant Korean Skewer Restaurant Tonight
- Kochi Arrives With a Focus on Korean Royal Cuisine
- High Dining Chef Opens Hell’s Kitchen Tasting Menu Spot
Le Crocodile Opened early-December
- Chez Ma Tante Chefs Open Le Crocodile at the Wythe Hotel
- Wythe Hotel’s Le Crocodile opens in Williamsburg with French fare
- What Do People Want From Hospitality and Nightlife Today? Jon Neidich hopes his new restaurant Le Crocodile, opening in Brooklyn’s Wythe hotel today, checks all the boxes.
Lekka Burger Opened mid-November
- Dirt Candy’s Trailblazing Chef Opens a Fast-Casual Veggie Burger Spot Today
- Veggie God Amanda Cohen Enters the Plant-Based Burger Wars
- Lekka Burger from Dirt Candy’s Amanda Cohen is opening in NYC
Nami Nori Opened early-October
- Masa Vets Are Opening a Playful Sushi Hand Roll Restaurant in the West Village
- The Owners of a New Sushi Spot Want to ‘Bring Back the Dynamite Roll’
- Temaki Hand Rolls With a Twist in the West Village
- Nami Nori, a West Village Restaurant by the Former Masa Chefs, Does Not Do Fusion
This weekly list is not comprehensive of every new place but a short alphabetized list of new places that I think are notable. Restaurants that have been opened for more than three months will not be included.