Quinoa and Bean Soup
This recipe is my twist on the popular Italian soup, pasta e faglioli sans pancetta and using quinoa instead of ditalini. The result is a vegan (or vegetarian if you add cheese rind) soup that is warming and filling. I had been making regular pasta e faglioli for years but I have taken to this version as it feels cleaner. Perfect for those brisk days.
Yields about 1 quart, 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small piece of Parmesan rind (optional, adds flavor but omit to keep vegan)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup quinoa
Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat, and add onions and celery. Stir and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add diced tomatoes and juices, cheese rind and beans and stir. Cover pot and bring to boil, then remove lid and reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add water and bring to boil. Add quinoa and stir. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Add salt to taste. Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!