This week, I add the long-awaited reopening of Pastis. I literally have not met anyone that has not missed and had kind words about this restaurant. Resy shows reservation times for breakfast, lunch and dinner though, of course, dinner times seem to be booked through month’s end.
Like many New Yorkers, I have my own Keith McNally and Pastis story. After waiting for hours to get into the new opening of Schiller’s, a man approached our group, apologized for the wait and asked if we would consider going to Balthazar or Pastis. We said Pastis. The man gave us a name to ask for, and when we asked his, he said “Keith,“ we all followed it with “McNally?!“ When we got to Pastis, our table was ready as well as a glass of champagne for each of us. The quote from McNally, “I’ve learned that if you give a customer a drink on the house once a year, he loves you” is true. The warm welcome stayed with me as I chose to patronize Pastis for work meetings, casual meals with friends, and family gatherings – all stemming from that one glass of champagne.
I also am adding two diners I neglected last week, Golden Diner from a Momofuku alum that I have been hankering to try in Chinatown and the Diner at the Mercado Little Spain.
As I noted last week, this weekly list is not comprehensive of every new place but a short alphabetized list of new places that I think are notable. Restaurants that have been opened for more than three months will not be included.
New & Noteworthy (week of June 10)
Bar Pisellino Opened mid-May
- Inside Bar Pisellino, the Gorgeously Appointed New Italian Hangout From Via Carota
- Via Carota’s long-awaited sister spot, Bar Pisellino, soft-opens this week
Crown Shy Opened mid-March
- An Eleven Madison Park Alum Sets a New Tone at Crown Shy
- Crown Shy Opens With Fine Dining From a Former Eleven Madison Park Chef
Essex Market Opened mid-May
- New Essex Street Market Opens With A Bang
- Inside Essex Market’s Sprawling, Stunning New Lower East Side Home
The Fulton Opened mid-May
- Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Ode to Seafood Debuts on the Water Tonight
- At the Fulton, Jean-Georges Vongerichten Sells Seafood By the Seaport
Golden Diner Opened mid-March
- Momofuku Ko Vet Sam Yoo Opens Golden Diner in Chinatown Tomorrow
- LES Is Now Home to a Momofuku Alum’s Take on a NYC Diner: Golden Diner modernizes and globalizes the diner genre
HaSalon Opened mid-April
- Celebrity chef Eyal Shani, the guy behind Miznon, is putting on a theatrical dinner party with extravagant dishes
- At the New Restaurant HaSalon, the Food Carries ‘the Energy of Happiness’
- One of the World’s Great Party Restaurants Comes to New York
José Andrés’s Spanish Diner at Mercado Little Spain Opened mid-May
- Breakfast And Lunch Now Being Served At José Andrés’s Great ‘Spanish Diner
- Put a Huevo on It At José Andrés’s spiffy new Spanish Diner, the flavors are Iberian but the spirit is pure greasy spoon.
Kāwi Opened mid-March
- Momofuku Weaves Luxury Into Korean Traditions at Kawi, a Hudson Yards Gem
- Kawi, From Momofuku, Takes Korean Food Head On
Le Jardinier Opened late-May
- After 21 Years, a Joël Robuchon Protégé Gets His Own Luxurious Stage in Midtown East
- Vegetables Become Vehicles for Luxury at Le Jardinier
Maison Yaki Opened late-April
- Greg Baxtrom’s New Restaurant Will Be a Chiller, Easier Place to Go — He Hopes
- Inside Maison Yaki, the New Restaurant From Team Olmsted
Pastis (Opened early June)
- Inside the New Pastis, the Romantic NYC Legend Reopening Tonight
- Hello, Old Friend: Pastis Reopens Its Doors
Van Da Opened mid-March